What Type Of Insurance Do I Need For A Minibus In The UK?
If you own or operate a minibus, it is a legal requirement to have at least third-party insurance to cover you for any damage or injury you may cause to others while using the vehicle. In addition to this, you may also want to consider additional cover to protect yourself and your passengers.
Here are some of the levels and types of insurance you may want to consider for your minibus:
- Third-Party Only (TPO): This is the minimum legal requirement for any motor vehicle in the UK. It covers you for any damage or injury you cause to others while using the minibus but it does not cover any damage to the minibus itself or the driver.
- Third-Party Fire and Theft (TPFT): This provides the same cover as TPO but it also includes protection against theft of the minibus and damage caused by fire.
- Comprehensive: This is the most extensive type of minibus insurance cover. It provides protection against damage to your minibus as well as cover for any injuries sustained by you or your passengers in an accident. It also covers you for any damage or injury you cause to others.
- Public Liability Insurance: This is highly recommended if you use your minibus for commercial purposes. It covers you for any injury or damage caused to members of the public while using the minibus. Some commercial insurance policies will include this by default so it’s worth comparing quotes to find the best value.
- Breakdown cover: This is typically an optional extra that covers the cost of breakdown assistance for your minibus. It can be useful if you rely on your minibus for business or transport purposes. If you use your minibus as part of a taxi business, then breakdown cover is highly recommended.
The type of insurance you choose will depend on your individual circumstances and the level of protection you require. It is important to make sure that you have the right type of insurance in place to ensure that you are fully protected in the event of an accident or incident involving your minibus.
Do I Need Public Liability Insurance For A Minibus?
If you use your minibus for commercial purposes such as a private hire taxi or a minibus hire service, then it is highly recommended that you have public liability insurance in place. This is because you are carrying passengers for hire and reward then you have a duty of care to ensure their safety while they are in your vehicle. Public liability insurance can protect you in the event that a passenger is injured or suffers damage to their property while using your minibus.