Home Insurance

Could you Save Money when you Compare Home Insurance Quotes?

  • Cheap Home Insurance Quotes
  • Flexible & Pay Monthly Schemes

  • Compare Several Specialist UK Brokers

total insurance start rating

What is Home Insurance?

Home insurance, also know as ‘house insurance’ is an insurance policy that protects your home against loss or damage. In the event that your home is destroyed or damaged, a home policy will pay out to cover your losses.

An insurance policy for your home can also be extended to include contents cover which will cover the cost of your belongings.

Compare Home Insurance Quotes

We know how difficult comparing policies can be. That’s why our trained team are here to help you find dedicated brokers who want to quote you.

Our service is free and impartial with no obligation to buy.

Home Insurance

What our Comparison Expert Says

‘Insuring your home and your possessions is vitally important in the face of loss and adversity. We’ll connect you with home insurance brokers who will help you cover everything important to you at a price right for you!’

How our process works

We’ve worked hard to refine our process and keep it as quick, easy and simple as possible for our customers.

What Does Home Insurance Cover?

Home insurance is designed to protect your home and its contents from various risks and perils. Here are some of the typical things that a standard home insurance policy in the UK might cover:

It’s important to note that home insurance policies can vary widely, so it’s always a good idea to carefully review the terms and conditions of any policy you’re considering. Additionally, some risks or perils may be excluded from coverage, so it’s important to understand what is and isn’t covered before you purchase a policy.

How Can I Save Money On Home Insurance?

Here are some ways that you may be able to save money on your home insurance in the UK.

Remember that while you want to save money on your home insurance, it’s important to make sure that you have adequate coverage to protect your home and its contents. Be sure to read the terms and conditions of any policy you’re considering carefully to ensure that it meets your needs.

What Is The Difference Between Buildings and Contents Insurance?

Buildings insurance and contents insurance are two different types of home insurance policies that offer different types of coverage. Some policies will offer combined cover.

  • Buildings insurance: This type of insurance covers the physical structure of your home, including the walls, roof, floors, windows, doors, and permanent fixtures like kitchens and bathrooms. Buildings insurance typically covers damage caused by events such as fire, theft, vandalism, subsidence, and flooding. If you have a mortgage, your lender may require you to have buildings insurance as a condition of the loan.
  • Contents insurance: This type of insurance covers the belongings in your home, such as furniture, appliances, electronics, clothing, and other personal possessions. Contents insurance typically covers damage or loss caused by events such as theft, fire, flood, and accidental damage. Some insurance policies may also cover personal items outside of the home, such as smartphones or jewellery.

Does Home Insurance Cover Theft In The UK?

Home insurance policies in the UK typically cover theft, provided it is not excluded from the policy. Theft is usually covered under contents insurance.

Some contents insurance policies in the UK will cover theft both inside and outside of your home. This means that if your personal possessions are stolen from your home or from your person while you’re out and about, you may be able to make a claim on your insurance policy to recover the value of the stolen items, up to the limit of your policy.

It’s important to note that most contents insurance policies will have limits on the amount that you can claim for individual items, as well as overall limits on the amount that you can claim. Some homes will need high value home insurance.

Does Home Insurance Cover Storm Damage?

Home insurance policies in the UK will usually cover damage caused by storms, including damage caused by strong winds, heavy rain, and lightning strikes.
Storm damage is generally covered under buildings insurance. Storm damage is not though considered to be the same as flood damage. If you live in a flood risk area, then you should look to purchase a flood risk home insurance policy.

Most buildings insurance policies in the UK will cover damage to the roof, windows, and walls caused by falling trees, debris, or other objects. Policies may also cover damage to outbuildings, such as sheds and garages, as well as damage to fences and gates on your property.

It’s important to note that the level of coverage and the specific events that are covered can vary between insurance policies, so it’s always a good idea to carefully review the terms and conditions of your policy to understand the coverage and any exclusions or conditions that may apply.

Does Home Insurance Cover Accidental Damage?

Home insurance policies in the UK may offer coverage for accidental damage, but it’s important to note that this coverage is not always included as standard and may need to be added as an optional extra or purchased as a separate policy.

Accidental damage cover may protect against damage caused by things like spills, stains, and breakages, as well as damage caused by accidental fires or floods.

Some buildings insurance policies may also offer cover for accidental damage, such as damage caused by accidentally drilling a hole in a wall or accidentally breaking a window, but this is not always included as standard.

Be sure to ask your home insurance broker about accidental damage coverage if it’s not clear whether it’s included in your policy or not.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you are mortgage free, then home insurance is not a legal requirement although it is strongly recommended.

If you have a mortgage on your home, then home insurance will be a legal requirement and will be stipulated in the contract.

Related Insurance

Standard Home

Flood Risk Home

Flat Roof Home


Listed Building

Non-Standard Home

Thatched Roof Home