Self-Employed Courier Insurance

Could you Save Money when you Compare Self-Employed Courier Insurance Quotes with Total Insurance?

  • Cheap Self-Employed Courier Insurance Quotes
  • Flexible & Pay Monthly Schemes

  • Compare Several Specialist UK Brokers

total insurance start rating

What is Self-Employed Courier Insurance?

Self-employed courier insurance is an insurance policy designed to cover couriers who work form themselves and not employed by a company. It insures the same way as courier insurance does but for those operating under their own name.

Insurance for self-employed couriers is typically categorised into the following.

  • Third-party insurance: This is the minimum level of insurance required by law in the UK and covers you for any damage you cause to other people or their property.
  • Comprehensive insurance: This type of insurance provides more extensive cover including damage to your own vehicle and any goods that you are carrying.
  • Goods in transit insurance: This protects you against any damage or loss to the goods you are carrying only.
  • Public liability insurance: This type of insurance provides insurance against any claims made against you by third parties.

Compare Self-Employed Courier Insurance Quotes

We know how difficult comparing policies can be. That’s why our trained team are here to help you find dedicated brokers who want to quote you.

Our service is free and impartial with no obligation to buy.

Self-Employed Courier Insurance

What our Comparison Expert Says

‘As a self-employed courier, you will be working independently to a firm and therefore will be directly responsible for any accident you may have. It is well worth ensuring you have complete insurance against loss or damage as there will be no one else to fall back on’.

How our process works

We’ve worked hard to refine our process and keep it as quick, easy and simple as possible for our customers.

Who Needs Self-Employed Courier Insurance?

Self-employed courier driver policies are typically necessary for anyone who uses their car or courier van for business purposes, specifically for the purpose of delivering goods or packages as a courier. This includes individuals who work as self-employed couriers, as well as businesses that operate a fleet of delivery vehicles.

If you are using your courier car or van to deliver goods as part of your work, standard personal car insurance may not provide adequate coverage for the risks and liabilities that you face as a courier. In fact, using your personal car insurance for business purposes could invalidate your policy and leave you without any protection in the event of an accident or loss.

In the UK, it is a legal requirement to have at least third-party insurance to drive on public roads. Therefore, self-employed couriers who use their own vehicle for business purposes must have at least this level of insurance. Comprehensive insurance and additional coverage such as goods in transit insurance and public liability insurance are recommended to ensure that you are fully protected in case of any accidents, theft, or other issues that may arise while carrying out your courier work.

Are Carried Goods Covered By Courier Insurance?

Yes, goods carried by a courier are typically covered by courier insurance. The exact level of coverage will depend on the type of courier insurance policy that you have, as well as any specific exclusions or limitations outlined in the policy.

Goods in transit insurance is a type of courier insurance that is specifically designed to protect the goods that a courier is carrying while they are in transit.

This coverage is typically included as part of a comprehensive courier insurance policy, and it can provide protection against a wide range of risks and hazards, such as theft or damage.

It’s important to note that the level of coverage provided by goods in transit insurance may vary depending on the specific policy that you have. Some policies may have exclusions or limitations on certain types of goods or certain types of loss or damage.

It’s always a good idea to carefully review your policy and understand the level of coverage that you have to ensure that you are fully protected in case of any incidents or accidents while carrying out your courier work.

Is Self-Employed Courier Insurance Different From Normal Car Insurance?

In short, yes, insurance for self-employed couriers is different to a standard car policy.

A standard car policy is designed to insure you for personal use and commuting, it does not have any commercial aspect added to it. Using a vehicle for any form of commercial gain will not be covered by a standard car policy.

Some of the key differences between self-employed courier insurance and normal car insurance include:

  • Goods in transit insurance: This insures the goods that are being carried by the courier. This is not included in normal car insurance policies.
  • Public liability insurance: If someone is self-employed in any occupation, it is sensible to have public liability insurance to protect against any claims.
  • Premiums and Excess: Courier drivers may have different premium rates and policy excess than normal car insurance, as the level of risk associated with courier work is typically higher.

The brokers we work with will help you understand exactly what cover you should have in order to best protect your business.

Is Self Employed Insurance For HGVs, Vans and Cars Different?

Self-employed insurance for HGVs (heavy goods vehicles), vans, and cars is different. The type of insurance needed will depend on the specific vehicle that is being used for business purposes.

HGVs typically require a different type of insurance than vans or cars altogether, due to their larger size and greater risk of damage or accidents. HGV insurance policies may also have different requirements and exclusions compared to van or car insurance policies. For example, some HGV insurance policies may require the driver to hold a specific type of licence.

Vans and cars that are used for business purposes, such as courier work, may require specific types of coverage that differ from standard personal auto insurance policies. These two types of vehicle can also vary hugely in cost. Vans are much more likely to be transporting expensive goods and therefore will commonly see higher premiums.

It’s always a good idea for self-employed individuals to consult with a qualified insurance professional to ensure that they have the right type and level of coverage for their business needs.

Related Insurance


Courier Car

Courier Van

Self-Employed Couriers

Goods In Transit

Fast Food Delivery